Saturday 27 October 2007

The future's bright...








Down by the river where we walked last weekend is a fabulous plant nursery, basically set up in a field by a guy who loves all things green (and orange). This year he has sub-let half of the field to the pumpkin seller, and as I drive past twice a day, both to and from work I am always mesmerised by the sight. There are pumpkins of all shapes and sizes, and thankfully they are all orange. I realise that may sound odd, but I read in the newspaper last week that there has been a nationwide pumpkin-ripening problem this season due to the damp weather and lack of sunshine. Maybe this guy has a special pumpkin ripening trick that the rest of the country aren't privvy too, and if that is the case then I am glad, as very morning they make me smile. Unfortunately it is now dark on my way home and with the clocks going back an hour tonight I won't be able to see them at night. Instead I shall have to make do with my lantern...



This photo has been turned into a screen saver on the computer...



I have carved several pumpkins and put them in the window of the office, which the children love. They have been strategically placed over raised lights (which don't give off heat, I hasten to add) so as it starts to get dark late each afternoon the faces glow. I think perhaps I need to start making pumpkin soup soon. I have read a recipe for it today, which recommends putting parmesan crusts in. I am not convinced I have any old parmesan crusts lying around in my fridge, but I will check...

No comments: