Sunday 23 September 2007

Harvest time


We went up to the allotment first thing this morning and did some harvesting. It is all looking a bit sad up there now, things are dying back and there is a sense that summer is over. We dug some oddly shaped carrots (must thin out more next year!) some fantastic borlotti beans, rhubarb, yellow knobbly courgettes and the last of the sweetcorn. This year has certainly been an eye opener, being my first as an allotment owner. What have I learnt? That I have to be in the right frame of mind to do weeding. Pigeons are not my friends. I wish I had more time to spend there. I get a fantastic feeling of satisfaction from picking fresh peas and eating them whilst admiring the view. Strawberries are a million times tastier if eaten warm from the sun (who cares about a bit of mud?!) I have learnt that it is not really necessary to plant 15 courgettes plants, no matter how 'useful' they are. I think my colleagues and husband will be delighted to hear that there are very few left. I have also learnt that it is fantastic to have a wonderful father who spends a lot of his time digging, weeding and rotavating the soil and harvesting potatoes whilst I am at work and leaving them ready for when I get home from work, fresh for dinner. How lovely.
Next year I think I will grow more peas, staggering their planting so we have a longer supply. We should have a bumper crop of strawberries next summer, as well as our first asparagus which is very exciting.considering the amount of money we spend on it as a family each year. We live in the land of asparagus, so it is only right and proper that we grow our own!
I shall continue planning and plotting various designs, making sure to crop rotate (another lesson learned) and as it is all on a slope, work out the best sheltered spots for more delicate plants. For now though I am going to sit on the step in the garden and pod my borlotti beans for dinner. Bliss.

2 comments:

The List Writer said...

Ooooh, yum!

What about growing some flowers next year that you could harvest for vases around the house? Always rather liked that idea (and similar to asparagus, given the amount I spend on the odd bunch or two every time I go shopping...)

Garden Girl said...

Am indeed hoping to do a Sarah Raven style Cutting Garden at some stage next year- the sunflowers and marigolds were all I managed this year-sadly the sunflowers have nearly had their time as well now. Have some photos though which I shall use at some stage!