Sunday 9 March 2008

Rhubarb Rhubarb

Dad and I have been busy at the allotment this weekend, getting it ready for planting. We now have the bean canes in situ, pea nets sorted and a frame to grow Gladioli up. One surprise I wasn't expecting was that the rhubarb would be ready to cut..

I had a couple of bramley apples left from the week when I had all good intentions to make baked apples for pudding, but didn't get around to it. Largely because I couldn't be bothered- it's all we can do cook one course on a work night, let alone two. Anyway, they came in useful for...

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
500g rhubarb, trimmed and finely chopped (destringed like celery if it is thick)
300g apple, peeled, decored and roughly diced
200g caster sugar
100ml water
1 cinnamon stick
Oat Crumble Topping
250g plain flour
100g brown sugar
100g butter (soft)
1 tsp cinnamon
100g rolled oats
To Serve
Vanilla Ice-cream, Custard or Cream (or all three in some cases...)

Method
Preheat an oven to 200C (180 if fan assisted-sorry- not sure about gas!)
Rhubarb and Apple Filling: Place the rhubarb, apple, caster sugar, water and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Place the saucepan on the stove at a moderate heat and stir the mixture so that all the ingredients are well combined. Leave the mixture to simmer gently for 10 minutes stirring regularly until the rhubarb and apple is soft and tender but still holds it shape. Remove the filling from the stove and take out the cinnamon stick. Spoon the puree into individual or a single pie dish. Set aside while you prepare the crumble.
Oat Crumble: Place all the crumble mixture except the oats into a food processor and process it briefly so that you have a rough crumb mixture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the oats until it is well combined. Scatter the crumble mixture all over the filling.
To Cook: Place the rhubarb crumble or crumbles into the preheated oven and cook it for 30 minutes or 20 minutes for individual ones until the crumble is crisp and golden brown. Remove the crumble from the oven and serve.



Mum and Dad came over for dinner last night as a belated Mothers Day meal. Rob cooked rack of lamb with a herb crust and roasted new potatoes with french beans for the main course. I was on pudding duty.
I really should have taken photos of the finished article,served up with a scoop of Ben and Jerrys' finest, but to be honest by that stage I really couldn't be bothered to find the camera. It tasted so good, and all the better for being homegrown. Well, the rhubarb if not the apples!
Today I have planted what seems like hundreds of bulbs in the back garden. We have a Lidl supermarket in the town where I work and this week was their gardening extravaganza! Although I am a bit wary of the weird tinned goods they sell, they do particularly well on their garden stuff. I was elbowed out of the way by little old ladies (seriously) at the bin that was selling bags of bulbs for 49p...the containers of wild flower mix were snatched from the shelves before I even got through the revolving doors. I did manage to buy a huge carrier bag full of bulbs and seeds for £7. I have gladioli for the allotment, to give it some colour, lily of the valley in the back garden as I love their scent and they look so pretty. There are yellow alliums and purple iris, and big spiky purple thistles. Well they looked good on the packet!
I have planted two seed trays up with peas, and another of sweet peas. They are now on various windowsills around the house, waiting to germinate ready to be transported down to the allotment.
May now be time to get the oven on ready for that second, smaller crumble..

20 comments:

bloke said...

The crumble was fantastic and as for the lamb-- well a Gordon Ramsey restaurant would have to work hard to better it. So all that AND great company --what a great way to spend a Saturday night.But the even better part of the evening was the caramel chocolate bars from the Chocolate factory-- um um

julia said...

Looks delicious, I'm going to store that recipe in my book!
I'm a bit of a Lidl fan, so I'm prepared to battle through the old ladies to the plants and bulbs!
Julia x

Summer by the sea said...

That crumble is making me hungry! - I am having family over for Easter Sunday and am serving Lamb, so you have just given me an idea for pudding - sadly though, it won't be homegrown as i don't have a garden - Natalie x

Unknown said...

Damn you, Dave is literally drooling at the thought of rhubarb crumble - shame we can't get it over here! We (or rather Dave) have been busy planting too and have all of our herb seeds planted AND tomatoes and peppers. Bring on the summer! xx

dottycookie said...

I wish I liked rhubarb - your crumble looks gorgeous.

I would never have thought of Lidl for bulbs! And the flipping cats have unearthed my latest pea planting so I need to rebury them. Grrr.

Gina said...

Yummo, love rhubarb and apple together, I must unearth the rhubarb in our garden, I think it's still there LOL.
Wow you have been busy in the garden, the reward will be worth all that hard work!
The lamb sounds divine too.. :O)

Lina said...

Oh yum. I do love rhubarb.

dragonfly said...

I just had my first rhubarb plants delivered but I'm going to have to wait patiently for 2 WHOLE YEARS before I can have some home-grown. I often stew it with some orange juice to have on my morning porridge - yum! Love it in crumble too...

mollycupcakes said...

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend, your crumbles look so yummy any left? lol
I'll be round with the custard hehe!
My Granny always shops at Lidl and is one of those old ladies pushing and shoving her way to get a bargain, lol she makes me laugh and she's 87 and 4ft nothing but as strong as an ox hehe!
Have a good week, we have rain, rain and more flaming rain today so staying in and cracking on with orders.
Stay warm and safe.
Love
Catherine x

tess said...

sounds delicious! I'm the only one is my family who likes rhubarb so I'd get to eat it all. I have a lovely recipe for rhubard and orange cake if you want one.

Ragged Roses said...

Rhubarb crumble has to be one of my favourite puddings - I need some now!!!! I love rhubarb. Good luck with all those bulbs, there is a Lidl near here but I always forget to drive over there to see what they've got. I might just have to brave the storms to see! Take care and thanks so much for all your lovely comments on my blog yesterday
Kimx

The List Writer said...

I've been cooking with rhubarb and bramley apples this weekend too! I stewed them with some mandarin juice and served it spooned over rosemary loaf cake. So tasty.

My two little people love crumble more than pretty much anything else. G always draws a smiley face on top before putting it in the oven.

N. xx

Twiggy said...

Oh your blog is lovely. Wish I had an allotment , I'm making do with a flyaway greenhouse at the moment. Guess what? I live in what is called the rhubarb triangle - always makes me giggle that, reminds me a bit of a Barry Manilow song :) I LOVE rhubarb crumble, may have to go shopping tomorrow.....
Twiggy x

Tracy said...

Lots of deliciousness here today...what a great recipe! I have to try this one, and my DH loves rhubard. Rhubarb harvested already! Happy week, my friend ((HUGS))

Carol said...

Well I am off to Lidl for Cider and bulbs.....one of the other bloggers recommended the cider!
Carol x

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hi Anna
So lovely to read about your gardening passions.. a girl after my own heart. I would have used my bony elbows in Lidl's given half the chance..
You have also reminded me to go and pick the rhubarb at the bottom of the garden.. I have a great recipe for Rhubarb cake if you are interested ??
Crumble and Ben & Jerry's is hard to beat though!

Love
Michelexx

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hi that crumble looks lovely. Sounds like you will have a good harvest too. Summer is not far away and we can all be in our gardens( cant wait!)
x

cd&m said...

I too love the scent of Lily of the Valley and as for the crumble well that looks delic!

Ally Jay said...

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble is my absolute favourite. I have passed your recipe onto my dear hubby who does all the cooking. I will let you know the taste test when he next makes me one.

Unknown said...

Try rhubarb and strawberry scrumble - it's a marriage made in heaven!